Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Slipping through my fingers


Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning 
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile 
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness 
And I have to sit down for a while 
The feeling that I'm losing her forever 
And without really entering her world 
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter 
That funny little girl


Oh good grief. Just reading these lyrics breaks my heart a little bit. 

I remember watching Mama Mia for the first time, hearing this Abba song and thinking how sad I would be when my baby girl (who was just one year old at the time) started school and became less dependent on me. The day she would start slipping through my fingers. 

Where have those five years gone?


Now my baby girl is six. And life goes so fast, it terrifies me. The days are a blur of routine and just getting things done.

I'm so guilty of it. Not stopping to appreciate the small things. The "not now, I'm busy" syndrome. I hear myself saying it all too often and it takes a little piece of me away every time.

My little lady is creative, bright, so funny, caring, beautiful with the most pretty eyes, clever, stubborn as a mule, loyal, sensitive. Just wonderful, from head to toe. I feel so blessed to be able to spend every day with her; but I need time to slow down.

I'm not ready for her to stop being my baby girl. 

My best friend. My beautiful girl. My mini me. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment