Monday, 24 March 2014

Monday must-haves | my mummy face

I'm no beauty expert, but I'd definitely describe myself as an enthusiast. I read a lot of beauty blogs and have a weakness for skincare products. Admittedly a bit less so now I'm on maternity leave…

With three beanies to get out the door in the morning, nine times out of ten I have a grand total of five minutes to put my makeup on. I have a tried-and-tested handful of products that make sure I don't frighten small children on the school run. No make-up brushes involved - I can literally apply with my fingers and go.



I'll admit the first product is a bit of an investment - to say the least. Chantecaille Just Skin is eye-wateringly expensive at £57 but it had been on my wish list for a long time and, armed with a Space NK gift voucher, I bit the bullet. I'm so glad I did. If like me you prefer a lighter base (particularly in the spring and summer months) this is perfect. It offers light coverage, evens out your skin tone and leaves a natural glow to your skin. It also contains SPF15. Thankfully a little seems to go a very long way. I've had the tube for almost a year now and I still have at least half left. This is very good news cos, as much as I love it, I'm not sure I could bring myself to pay that much for it again.

A great, and slightly cheaper, alternative is Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser. I have the oil-free version. It gives a little more coverage and is still easy to apply with your fingers or a foundation brush if you prefer.

Concealer. An absolute essential. Soap and Glory Kick Ass concealer is a really affordable product which contains two shades and a setting powder for £10. The peachy shade is perfect for under the eyes to cancel out blue/purple tones - goodbye dark circles! The more yellow shade is good for covering redness and blemishes. Great product and excellent value (unlike my earlier picks!).

I pop a bit of YSL Touche Eclat on top of the concealer because, lets face it, I need it. Ayden is teething and waking at least twice a night at the moment. I need all the help I can get!

Urban Decay Primer Potion in the shade Eden is a quick and easy way to even out the colour of your eye lids and make your eyes look brighter and more awake. You're supposed to use this as base for eyeshadow, which I do if I'm going somewhere special, but otherwise I just slap this on, blend it in with my fingers and that's that.

Stila Convertible Colour in the shade Lilium is a two-in-one lip and cheek colour, but I just use it as a cream blush. Its quick and easy to apply, stays put for ages and gives a really natural, healthy glow.

Benefit Gimme Brow is my newest discovery and its bloody brilliant! Perfect for girls that prefer a slightly fuller, darker brow. I used to use powder with an angled brush and, lets be honest, that's a bit of a faff when time is not on your side. This is a brush-on fiber gel which fills in gaps, tames the hairs and builds easily to give you perfectly arched brows. Love, love, love it!

Last but not least, after curling my lashes, a quick coat of waterproof mascara. At the moment I'm using Max Factor False Lash Effect, but I also like the L'Oreal Telescopic mascara. To be honest I usually go for whatever's on offer in Boots. I'm a bit of a mascara floozy :)

So that's it. It looks like a lot written down but it usually takes me just a little over five minutes to apply and I'm good to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment